This post may contain affiliate links. See our affiliate disclaimer here.
Road trips are an exciting and affordable way to travel and explore. However, many road trips involve hours spent driving down boring interstates. Here are 250 road trip questions to pass the time on your next long drive.
- 1 Road Trip Questions for Everyone
- 2 Funny Road Trip Questions
- 3 Road Trip Questions for Couples
- 4 Road Trip Questions for Kids
- 5 Road Trip Questions about Travel
- 6 Would your Rather Road Trip Questions
- 7 Road Trip Trivia Questions
- 8 Books with More Road Trip Questions
- 9 Random Road Trip Question Generator
Road Trip Questions for Everyone
Our first 25 road trip questions work for any road trip, whether your are traveling with your spouse, friends or even a co-worker. Have the person sitting in the passenger seat ask these questions to everyone in the car.
- What is your favorite childhood memory?
- What skill or hobby would your most like to learn?
- Besides a cat or a dog, what type of pet would you most like to own?
- What is the worst advice you have ever receieved?
- What actor or actress would you want to play you in a movie?
- Who was your first crush? What did you like about them?
- What would you name your boat if you had one?
- What book could you re-read over and over again?
- What is your favorite song?
- What song do you think is the most annoying song ever?
- Do you have any reoccurring dreams? If so, what are they about?
- Describe yourself in just 3 words.
- Have you ever broken a bone? If so, how did it happen?
- Assuming money is not a factor, describe your perfect house.
- If you could be frozen at one age forever, what age would it be?
- What super power would you most like to possess?
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- What year would you travel to if you had a time machine?
- What is your favorite quote? (see our favorite road trip quotes here)
- What is your spirit animal?
- What person do you admire most?
- If you were in the circus, what would be your job?
- What is your favorite season of the year: spring, summer, fall or winter?
- What is something you are grateful for today?
- What are you most looking forward to on this trip?
Funny Road Trip Questions
There is no better way to pass the time on the road than having a good laugh. Ask these silly road trip questions to lighten up the mood on a long road trip.
- Describe the worst outfit you have ever owned.
- What is the funniest sound you can make?
- What is the funniest tongue twister that your know?
- Tell the worst joke you have ever heard.
- What conspiracy theory would you like to start?
- Where is the most embarrassing place you have ever let a fart slip out?
- Who would win a fight: 30 chickens or 1 bear?
- What is the strangest thing a guest has ever done in your home?
- In what sport would it be funniest to blindfold all the players?
- What is the funniest thing your child (or someone else’s child) has ever said to you?
- What is the weirdest version of the afterlife you can imagine?
- Which would you prefer to have as your roommate? A goat or a racoon?
- What is the best prank you have ever played on someone?
- If you were making TV shows about each person in this car, what would each show be named?
- What would be the best song to play when proposing to someone? Wrong answers only.
- What is the most awkward thing you have ever said aloud?
- What is the stupidest way you have ever gotten hurt?
- If your pet could give you a nickname, what would it be?
- What came first, the chicken or the egg? Take 2 minutes to defend your stance.
- Do you think you would get along with your clone?
- What is the worst pick-up line you have ever heard?
- If you were a reality TV show star, what would be your tagline?
- Which of the Seven Drawfs best represents each person in the car?
- What is one foolproof way to get dumped after a first date?
- What is something totally ridiculous that you believed as a kid?
Road Trip Questions for Couples
This list of fun and serious road trip questions will get any couple talking. Whether you’ve been together for 10 days, 10 months or 10 years, you are sure to learn something new about your spouse.
- What is your favorite memory from our relationship?
- What is your favorite spicy memory from our relationship?
- What is your favorite meal that I cook?
- Tell me a funny story about yourself that happened before we met.
- What celebrity would you select for a hall pass?
- Would you rather be loved, respected or admired?
- What do you think is your best quality?
- What do you think is my best quality?
- What did you like best, or remember most, about our first date?
- What is the first thing you noticed about me?
- What is something not obviously sexual that turns you on?
- What is something you wish we did together more often?
- If you could take me someplace you’ve visited before, where would it be and why?
- Who is more likely to survive on a deserted island: me or you?
- What song makes you think of me?
- If you had the option to live forever, would you choose to?
- What is your favorite thing in our/your house?
- If the zombie apocalypse happens while we’re on this trip, what is your plan?
- If you won the lottery, would you quit your job?
- What is something your parents or someone else said when you were a child that has stuck with you all this time?
- What was your favorite childhood toy?
- What is the best gift I have ever given you?
- What is our greatest strength as a couple?
- What do you think our life will look like in 10 years?
- What are you most looking forward to in our future?
Road Trip Questions for Kids
Traveling with the kids? These road trip questions are fun to ask children.
- If you could change your name, what would you change it to?
- If you could grow any food on a tree in our yard, what would it be?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What is the best thing that has ever happened to you?
- What are 3 things your friends would say that you are really good at?
- If your favorite color had a smell, what would it smell like?
- If you wrote a book, what would it be about?
- Imagine you were allowed to make the biggest mess ever, how would you make it?
- What is the silliest thing you have ever done?
- What is your favorite thing about mom?
- What is your favorite thing about dad?
- If you opened a store, what would you sell?
- Describe your dream treehouse.
- What do you think you’re going to dream about tonight?
- Do you have any ideas for cool inventions?
- If you could create a new holiday, what would it be?
- What is the grossest food you have ever eaten?
- Can you say the alphabet backwards?
- What is the weirdest thing that grown-ups do?
- If one of your toys could come to life, which one would you choose?
- If you were going to design a roller coaster, what would it be like?
- What is your favorite bedtime story?
- Which zoo animal would you like for a pet?
- If you were driving right now, where would you take us?
- If you had an airplane, where would you go?
Road Trip Questions about Travel
These road trip questions about travel will help you pass the time by reflecting on past trips and planning future vacations.
- Where did you travel on your last road trip?
- What is the best vacation you have ever taken?
- Would you rather spend 5 days in New York City or 5 days in a remote cabin in the mountains? (If the answer is NYC, check out this New York City RV Park!)
- Which wild animal would you most like to see?
- What was your worst vacation ever?
- What is the best meal you ever had on vacation?
- What is the worst food you ever ate on a trip?
- What is your ideal honeymoon destination?
- Where in the world would you most like to move for 1 year?
- Have you ever hitchhiked? Where were you going?
- What about traveling do you enjoy the least?
- What is your favorite city in the world?
- What is the most adventurous thing you have done during your travels?
- What can you not travel without?
- Where is your favorite airport?
- Do you prefer driving on the highway or on back roads?
- What is the most interesting thing you can say in a foreign language?
- Who is your favorite person to travel with?
- Have you ever missed a flight?
- What do you miss most about home when you are traveling?
- Do you prefer flying or road trips?
- What type of souvenirs do you like to purchase?
- What is your all-time favorite souvenir from your travels?
- What place do you think should everyone see at least once in their lifetime?
- Where should we go on our next vacation together?
Would your Rather Road Trip Questions
These “would you rather” road trip questions range from silly to ridiculous. Ask everyone in the car to share their choice and reasoning behind it, and you are sure to have some good laughs.
- Would you rather wear a swimsuit or a business suit for the rest of your life?
- Would you rather have the ability to fly or breath underwater?
- Would you rather go camping or stay in a 5-star hotel?
- Would you rather travel back in time or visit 100 years in the future?
- Would you rather be a unicorn or mermaid?
- Would you rather get free tickets to the Super Bowl or free luxury vacation?
- Would you rather be 12-feet tall or 12-inches tall?
- Would you rather never eat your favorite food again or only eat your favorite food for the rest of your life?
- Would you rather go skydiving or bungee jumping?
- Would you rather be covered in feathers or be covered in scales?
- Would you rather be in jail or stuck on a deserted island for 5 years?
- Would you rather spend a day with your boss or spend a day with your mother-in-law?
- Would you rather find a mouse or a cockroach in your bed?
- Would you rather walk to work in high heels or drive to work in reverse?
- Would you rather give up your phone for a month or give up showers for month?
- Would you rather go to outer space or climb Mount Everest?
- Would you rather go back to kindergarten or go back to high school?
- Would you rather give up coffee or give up beer?
- Would you rather have a tattoo of the title of the last TV show you watched or the last book you read?
- Would you rather have your boss or your parents read all of your text messages?
- Would you rather eat undercooked food or burnt food?
- Would you rather have your own amusement park or your own zoo?
- Would you rather be a genius everyone thinks is an idiot or an idiot everyone thinks is a genius?
- Would you rather have to sing or have to dance in front of a huge audience?
- Would you rather I keep going or stop asking you questions?
Road Trip Trivia Questions
The previous 150 road trip questions should be enough personal information for one trip. Take a break with these road trip trivia questions. The answers are in the parenthesis beside each question.
Road Trip Trivia Questions
- What famous road trip route is also known as The Main Street of America? (Route 66)
- Who was the “Father of Route 66”? (Cyrus Avery)
- In 2003, to stop bad press and sign-stealing, which highway was renamed to Highway 491? (Highway 666)
- What car do you need to spot in the classic road trip game of Punch Buggy? (VW Beetle)
- Who operates the GPS (Global Positioning System) you are probably using right this second? (U.S. Air Force)
- Where was the famous final scene of road trip movie Thelma and Louise filmed? (Utah, Dead Horse State Park)
- Where is the crookedest street in the world located? (San Francisco)
- Name the 5 Great Lakes. (Superior, Ontario, Huron, Michigan, Erie)
- Which president signed the act that created the U.S. Highway System? (Eisenhower)
- Which famous road runs through two national parks in the eastern part of the country? (Blue Ridge Parkway)
- How many islands will you drive through on a top to bottom Florida Keys road trip? (44)
- In what country is the Great Ocean Road located? (Australia)
- In what country was the first automobile made? (Germany)
- What was the first car to be mass produced? (Model-T)
- Which band released the aptly title song Drive in 1984? (The Cars)
- What is Goofy and Max’s final destination on their road trip in The Goofy Movie? (Los Angeles)
- What is the highest highway in the United States? (Mount Evans Scenic Byway)
- In what state is the road that is nicknamed The Extraterrestrial Highway? (Nevada)
- For what road trip movie did Frances McDormand win a best actress Oscar? (Nomadland)
- Rounding to the nearest million, how many miles of public roads are in the U.S.? (4 million)
- What state was the first state to impose a speed limit for motor vehicles in 1901? (Connecticut)
- What was Connecticut’s original speed limit for city roads? (12 mph)
- Who wrote the classic road trip book Travels with Charley? (John Steinbeck)
- Who is the narrator in Jack Kerouac’s novel, On the Road? (Sal Paradise)
- A riddle: What has cars but no roads, curves but no figure and white knuckles? (A roller coaster)
National Park Trivia Questions
- What is the deepest lake in the United States? (Crater Lake)
- What was the first U.S. national park? (Yellowstone)
- What is the only U.S. national park located in the Southern Hemisphere? (The National Park of American Samoa)
- What is largest national park in Alaska? (Gates of the Arctic)
- What is the high peak in a U.S. national park? (Denali)
- Which president signed the National Park Service into being in 1916? (Woodrow Wilson)
- At the turn of the 20th century, which national park hosted spring training for some U.S. baseball teams? (Hot Springs)
- What park is home to the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere? (Death Valley)
- What national park is home to the longest cave system in the world? (Mammoth Cave)
- Which U.S. national park is home to the nation’s deepest cave? (Carlsbad Caverns)
- What was the first cave in the world to be named a national park? (Wind Cave)
- Which state has the most national parks? (California)
- Which state has the second most national parks? (Alaska)
- What is the most visited U.S. national park? (Great Smoky Mountains)
- What is the least visited U.S. national park? (Dry Tortugas)
- What invasive species was removed from Olympic National Park using helicopters in the late 2010s? (Mountain Goats)
- What was the second U.S. national park, which was returned to the state in 1895? (Mackinac National Park)
- What national park contains three of the ten highest waterfalls in the world? (Yosemite)
- What waterfall in Yosemite National Park is 10 times taller than Niagara Falls? (Ribbon Falls)
- Who was the only American president to work as a national park ranger? (Gerald Ford)
- What causes the blue haze for which Great Smoky Mountains National Park is named? (Plants)
- Butch Cassidy and his crew took refuge in the canyons of which national park? (Canyonlands)
- Which two U.S. national parks are only 10 miles from each other? (Yellowstone and Grand Tetons)
- What was the first U.S. national park to be recognized for “works of man”? (Mesa Verde)
- What national park completely closes during the winter season? (Isle Royale)
Roadside Attraction Trivia Questions
Have you taken a detour in your road trip to see a giant ball of twine or other odd creations? Try your hand at our roadside attraction trivia to kill some time on your road trip. Maybe you’ll discover something to stop and see along the way.
- What giant statue in Blue Earth, Minnesota will inspire you to eat your greens? (Jolly Green Giant)
- What state is home to the world’s largest ball of twine? (Kansas)
- Where did Jacques-Andre Istel build a stone pyramid that he claims is the official center of the world? (Felicity, California)
- What is the name of the 32-mile stretch of North Dakota highway lined with scrap metal sculptures? (Enchanted Highway)
- What is the Stonehenge-replica in Alliance, Nebraska constructed with? (Junked Cars)
- What was the Stonehenge-replica in Natural Bridge, Virginia that closed in 2016 constructed with? (Styrofoam)
- What state is home to the world’s largest fish statue? (Wisconsin)
- What state is home to the world’s largest garden gnome? (New York)
- Jackson, Wyoming has four arches that are made of what material? (Antlers)
- In which state will you find an attraction called “The Thing”? (Arizona)
- St. Paul, Alberta has a huge landing pad meant for what? (UFOs)
- In Austin, Texas, you can visit a cathedral that’s made up of what? (Junk)
- What types of cars make up the “ranch” art installation off the road in Amarillo, Texas? (Cadillacs)
- What state is home to the world’s largest truck stop? (Iowa)
- In Vermont, you can find a roadside gorilla holding what object? (A Car)
- What sort of animal sculpture is Lucy, which is found in New Jersey? (Elephant)
- What state is home to the World’s Only Corn Palace, located off I-90? (South Dakota)
- Which Southern state would you have to visit to view a peanut sculpted in Jimmy Carter’s image? (Georgia)
- What state is home to the world’s largest six pack of beer? (Wisconsin)
- Which Canadian province bills itself as home to the world’s largest lobster? (New Brunswick)
- Visitors to Badlands National Park often stop at Wall Drug to see a large statue of what mythical animal? (Jackalope)
- What state is home to a Clown Motel where you can have a terrifying overnight stay? (Nevada)
- Which country, home to Lake Geneva, sports a sculpture of the world’s largest fork? (Switzerland)
- What kind of animal is Woinic, a 30-foot tall roadside attraction in France? (Boar)
- The famous Christ the Redeemer is in Brazil, but where can you find the Christ of the Ozarks? (Arkansas)
State Trivia Questions
- What was New York called before it was called New York? (New Amsterdam)
- Which state has the longest coastline? (Alaska)
- Which state has the longest freshwater shoreline? (Michigan)
- Which state has the nickname Finlandia? (Minnesota)
- Which state is known as the Land of Enchantment? (New Mexico)
- In which state do visitors leave bananas on the memorial of Miss Baker, the monkeynaut? (Alabama)
- What is the state bird of Louisiana? (Brown Pelican)
- What is California’s state tree? (California Redwood)
- Which state’s flag features the image a president? (Washington)
- Which state has a two-sided state flag? (Oregon)
- Which state has the most electoral votes? (California)
- What is the official soft drink of Nebraska? (Kool-Aid)
- What is the only U.S. state without a mandatory seat belt law for adults? (New Hampshire)
- Which U.S. state quarter features a rocket and a boat? (Florida)
- Which U.S. state quarter features two bison? (North Dakota)
- What is the state mammal of Alaska? (Moose)
- Which U.S. state has the most lakes? (Minnesota)
- Which U.S. state is closest to Africa? (Maine)
- What is the only American state that borders more than two Canadian provinces? (Montana)
- The capital city of New Hampshire shares its name with a variety of which fruit? (Grape)
- What was the first state admitted to the union after the original 13 colonies? (Vermont)
- Which state is home to the “Towboat Capital of the World”? (Mississippi)
- In what year did West Virginia formally split from Virginia? (1863)
- In what year did North and South Carolina officially divide? (1712)
- Name the capital of every state. (Google It)
Books with More Road Trip Questions
If these road trip questions weren’t sufficient to pass the time on your journey, check our these awesome books with thousands of more road trip questions.
Here is a great game to unplug and connect with the ones you love on road trips or around the campfire. Get ready for fun, laughter and good conversation! In this second edition, you get over 750 fun and entertaining road trip questions and trivia in four different categories: Would You Rather, If You Could, Tell Me About and Travel Trivia.
If you are looking to entertain pre-teen aged children on a road trip, this book is the solution. With over 300 brain-twisting riddles, ideal for kids ages 9 to 12, Awesome Riddles for Kids, offers a fun and unique way to bond with your kids while getting them to exercise their brain at the same time.
If you enjoyed our “would you rather” road trip questions, you will love this road trip activity book. With a total of 400 fun, silly and thought-provoking “would you rather” questions, this book will make any long car ride fun. The book is appropriate for both kids and adults.
Random Road Trip Question Generator
Need even more road trip questions? This random road trip question generator will provide endless queries for your long drive.
Thanks for reading our list of 250 fun and challenging road trip questions. We hope you had lots of fun and have arrived at your final destination. If you need more ways to pass time on a road trip, check out these resources:
- Best Podcasts for Long Road Trips
- 18 Ways to Make Road Tips Fun for Kids and Adults
- The 7 Best Road Trip Books
Christina Pate is a seasoned full-time RVer who, along with her husband Justin, has journeyed across the US, Canada, and Mexico. Drawing from her extensive travels, RV repairs and RV renovations, she founded Travels with Ted to guide and inspire fellow RV enthusiasts. Christina is also the co-author of The Owner’s Guide to RV Maintenance and the creator of My RV Log Book.